Thursday 4 October 2012

GWQ3 - THE FINAL DAY


So a tougher day yesterday, but still over 50 people have 30/30, which is a great effort. I could be wrong, but I think 40 out of 40 is going to be needed to win the quiz.

In the case of a tie, a winner will be drawn at random, possibly by a celebrity.

But don't forget that not only the overall winner wins a signed copy of 'The 100 Most Pointless Things In The World',; there will also be a copy for one random entrant, and a copy for the winner of today's tie-break.

YESTERDAY'S ANSWERS


21. NEWRY (Newer E)
22 TRURO (True roe)
23. PETERBOROUGH (Peter Pan, Peter Cook, Peter Rabbit)
24. EDINBURGH (Anagram)
25. ARMAGH (Well it made me laugh)
26. HEREFORD (Here Ford. Thanks to @matosman)
27. PORTSMOUTH (Left PORT Opening MOUTH around 1st of Sept S)
28. BRISTOL ('a left tit' would have been an equally valid clue)
29. LEICESTER or WELLS
30. DERBY (The Derby was famously won many times by Lester Piggott, and, it turns out, less famously in the 19th century by John Wells. As I'm accepting WELLS it will now not be used in today's quiz. The clue was going to be 'Fine, Fit and Healthy')


TODAY'S QUESTIONS


Ok, we can't put this off any more, lets get on with the job at hand. Here are your final 10 clues.

31. TWIRL PASTA IN SILENCE
32. WHAT I DID AFTER I GAVE HER AN UNDERCOAT
33. LEWIS
34. FISH PORRIDGE?
35. HMM, BIG RAIN STORM
36. DISALLOWS AFTER FINAL MIX-UP
37. WITCHES SCORE
38. ERN IS
39. AUSSIE BIRD HANDLER
40. HIDDEN IN THE POST


TIE-BREAKER

Can you send me a clue (with answer and explanation) for a city that hasn't been used in the quiz? It can be a clever cryptic one, or a stupid pun one, you know what I like. My favourite entry will win one of the signed books! Please include it with today's answers.


So all entries for the quiz and the tie-break to geekquiz@endemoluk.com by midnight tonight please. Hope you've enjoyed the quiz and are glad it's all over.


A FINAL WORD

This quiz is always a huge amount of work, but so worth it for all the fun messages and the endless amusement I get in writing the clues. Thank you all for taking part and for engaging with it in the spirit in which it's intended.

Your pal,

Richard off Pointless

xxx




3 comments:

  1. In this football-mad household, there is only one Derby and it's Man City vs Man Utd - the most recent one was won by Man City so Manchester was my answer to question 29 one - does it count?

    My twitter user name is JYorks80

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Manchester too, and I still think it works. Kicking myself for not seeing Leicester/Lester, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quiz, though it did make my brain hurt a little bit!
    Thank you Richard.

    ReplyDelete